Watch Out for that gang of Elk! Salina, Utah - Day 3 Sunday, 5/16

Sun up was 5:50 a.m. I snapped my picture of the beautiful sunrise and by 6:00, I set off west though the Rockies. About 15 miles outside if Cimarron, I got up close and downright personal with a herd (or whatever the proper term is gaggle, drove, pod – proper term is “gang”) of about 25 elk cows stampeded across the road in front of me. Good Morning! They wisely turned back across the road. I honked my air horn hoping it did not sound like a mating call and sped off. I drove through the Carson and Santa Fe National Forests, Taos, and Navajo Nation toward Four Corners Monument. This was important because it meant I could knock out 4 of my 24 states quickly. So I roll into the park and there is a big sign saying, “Sorry, folks. The Park Is Closed.” Are you kidding me? How can this be? How can you close four states and eliminate the possibility of a quick getaway on my way through Utah? Fortunately, I documented the state border signs from NM into AZ, took 160/481 through Colorado and into Utah. WOW! I ended up in Salina, located in the center of the state. I went to “Mom’s” diner. After eating what they call chicken fried steak (not breaded Texas style), I asked the waitress if there was a local bar I could get a beer. She replied “No, and welcome to Utah!” I went to bed.

Cimarron, NM to Salina, UT
Miles: 638
Sites: Four corners and the Rockies – Are you kidding me!
Emotion of the day: Picture Glen on his Harley with a big fat smile on my face!

1 comment:

  1. The deer out here frighten me when they cross the roads. I can't imagine encountering elk! A tough day indeed!

    ReplyDelete