Cimarron & Dad – Cimarron, NM Day 2 – Saturday, 5/15


I was able maneuver around some storms and drove through Clovis. Now, Clovis has Lancaster family history, so I had to stop and buy a Harley t-shirt to commemorate my roots. Driving into Cimarron was like driving back time. I picture a spaghetti western being filmed here. I galloped into town about 5 o’clock. I made a reservation at a bed and breakfast. OK, for all of you Boy Scouters out there, Cimarron is a little town just outside the Philmont Scout Ranch. I chose this bed and breakfast because it was close to Philmont. You see, my dad was a big scouter and taught the adult leadership training course, Woodbadge at Philmont. It was his favorite place on earth. Waite Phillips, an Oklahoma oil man, donated his 127,000 acre ranch to the Boy Scouts in 1937. He made one stipulation; that his ranch house located in the middle of Philmont, remain his private residence. What I didn’t know when I made my reservation was that the bed & breakfast was Waite Phillips’ ranch home. How cool is that! I checked in and set out to fulfill my dad’s wish. Dad left a red notebook (with pictures) of exactly where he wanted half of his ashes spread at Philmont. Half of his ashes are with mom in Richardson. The other half he wanted spread at Philmont. Dad got his wish! One of the greatest gifts dad taught me was to give back unselfishly to others.
So for dinner on a Saturday night, I chose the local Hotel & Saloon. I walked into the bar area and the owner said, I’m from Texas and we have the best Chicken Fried Steak you’ll ever eat.” Big guy, 6’5”, Cowboy hat, boots and tan leather vest. You couldn’t miss him. I ordered dinner and was looking around. I looked up. Yep, those are bullet holes! The owner explained that over 28 men have been killed in this bar by the likes of Jesse James, Buffalo Bill Cody, Anne Oakley, and Wyatt Earp. Enough history, I have to get some sleep.
Junction, TX to Cimarron, NM
Miles: 599
Sites: West Texas plains up to the Eastern edge of the Rockies
Emotion for the day: Peace

3 comments:

  1. What a cool start! i cant even imagine the emotional fulfillment you had while completing your Dad's request. Then to follow it up with experiencing some true Western history...so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you told me you were taking your dad to Zastrow. I remember it well and the ax statue in front of the cabin. We had a bonfire at sunset there where they do the Philmont WoodBadge. Your dad is proud of you, Glen!

    I hope to visit him with Thomas some day. Be safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, That's amazing. You've got me in tears right now.

    ReplyDelete