Shasta isn’t just a brand of soda Medford, OR - Day 5 Tuesday, 5/18

Great news about the bike! Before I left Austin, the bike got its 20K maintenance inspection. As the service manager in Reno put it, “we found your oil level full and about a quart of oil spewed all over the outside of the bike. In other words, they filled it too full! So, if there is any good news about an oil leak, I got good news. When I was going up and down the mountains in Utah, the engine had more stress on it and couldn’t circulate the oil (too much oil) fast enough. The oil was then pushed out the air filter and all over the right side of the bike and my boot. Sooooo, by 1:15, I left Reno, headed to see Bill, Erin and the triplets. In order to make good time, I decided to go southwest from Reno to Sacramento, then north to Medford, Oregon, and then southwest to Crescent City, CA. Everyone I talked to said this is the best way because it is all interstate. I did make good time. As I went over the mountains toward Sacramento, it dropped down to 35*, but the view was amazing. As I am driving into Sacramento, It heated up to 75*. I was a little overdressed. Pictured me with two jackets, chaps, thick gloves, and a facemask. I passed motorcyclists that were in shorts and t-shirts. As I was pushing north, I saw the signs for Mount Shasta and Lake Shasta. No one warned me. How gorgeous! The bad part is there were no spots to pull over safely and snap some pictures. I did get a couple of cool shots of crop dusters doing their aerial maneuvers as well as sunset in the Oregon mountains. I will work on posting up pics tonight at Janet’s. I pulled into Medford about 8:45. Dusk was upon me and I had about two to two and a half hour ride on treacherous, winding, narrow, unfamiliar roads with lots of critters. I called Erin to let her know I was disappointed, but greatly appreciated her family opening up her home and offering up her hospitality. Maybe next time, and there will be a next time after seeing the views. Wednesday, I’m off to Janet’s. I might have to make my way over to the coast and head north on the 101!

Reno, NV to Medford, OR
Miles: 566
Sites: Great winding interstate through Tahoe National Forest, Sacramento Valley, Mt. Shasta, and the beautiful Siskiyou Mountains.
Emotion of the day: “On the road again” & disappointment that I didn’t get to see Erin and family

No comments:

Post a Comment