Sleeping on the way to Seattle Milton, WA – Day 6 Wednesday, 5/19

I headed out about 7:30, up I-5 to Southerlin for breakfast. When I geared back up, I check the radar. A huge storm was building in from the coast, from Southerlin to Seattle (about 300 miles long) and had plenty of red and high winds. Reports of winds on mount Ranier of 118 mph! So what do I do? I tried to head over to the 101, of course. I got about half way on a 2 lane windy road and had to turn back. Mother nature did not consider the fact that today was my chance to ride up the 101 and take incredible pictures of the Pacific Ocean. I headed north on I-5 and got as far as Albany, half way between Eugene and Salem. The water on the road was like driving on top of a pond. I don’t mind rain, but when other vehicles cannot even see me, it’s time to get off. The radar looked worse, but looked like it would eventually push east. I honkered down for about 3 hours. At 4:00. I said, if I’m going to make it to Janet’s tonight, now is the time. I did have one observation while driving. Oregon is an odd state. When I pulled up to my first gas stop in the state, a big guy came walking over and lifted the lever after I swiped my card. Drop it or I’ll drop you where you stand (I said on the inside). He began to explain that Oregon requires attendants to pump your gas. Huh? I couldn’t figure it out, nor the nine to ten people I have asked, since. Oregon drivers drive while Sleeping on the way to Seattle. They all drive with their mouths open, heads tilted back, eyes half mast, while looking down their nose at the road, driving in the left lane. When I crossed the Columbia River into Washington, all of the traffic seemed to open up and flow wonderfully. I arrived in Milton to see Janet shivering in the parking lot awaiting my arrival. I made it just before dark. Tomorrow, I will try and push east of the storms on my way to Yellowstone and the Great Divide.

Medford, OR to Milton, WA (with a detour toward the coast)
Miles: 481 miles
Sites: Beautiful trees in rolling mountains (in the rain)
Emotion of the day: Close your mouth and drive, please!

1 comment:

  1. Im sitting here cracking up at you. You provide some awesome visuals. I'm looking forward to the pictures.

    ReplyDelete