Reid & Terry - Dawson, ND Day 9 - Saturday, 5/22


When I set out today, I just knew it was going to be an adventure. My goal was to get to Aberdeen, SD. I saw on the Weather Channel that North and South Dakota were prime for severe weather and possible tornadoes. On the drive into Sturgis, I saw hillside after hillside of deer grazing on the green moguls that lead up to the Black Hills. I rolled into Sturgis and of course had to stop at the Harley dealership. I ate lunch at the Knuckle Grill and Saloon. I sat at the bar with a couple from LaPorte, Tx. It was fun to talk to someone from back home. I headed out of Sturgis to the northeast on a two lane highway (212). I stopped for a water break in a very small town and asked the sheriff which was the best way to Aberdeen. He told me about the road ahead of me being closed, so off I went, north and east through the Standing Rock Indian Reservation. This led me toward Mobridge. Approaching Mobridge about 5 p.m., a huge thunderstorm is building in front of me. In Mobridge, I asked a couple if there was a road heading north of town in order to avoid “that” thunderstorm. They said, “Oh yea. Take 1804 north out of town. It will eventually go into North Dakota.” So as I am riding into town, I saw a deputy and asked him if there was a good road heading north out of town in order to avoid “that” thunderstorm. He said, “Oh yea. Take 1804 north out of town. It will eventually go into North Dakota. You don’t want to get caught in that thunderstorm. It has quarter size hail and has had two tornadoes drop out of it, so far.” You see, “that” thunderstorm was in between me and Aberdeen. 1804 north it is. 1804 north was one of the coolest roads to be on a Harley. However, it was about the most east and west road that I have been on this trip so far. Do you remember when you were trying to learn how to use the two etch-a-sketch knobs to make a picture? That was 1804 north. As I drove toward North Dakota, I realized I was being paralleled between two thunderstorms, the larger one to the east. As the sun was dropping the storms intensified. I finally came to interstate 94. This is the highway that goes into Fargo that goes to Dent, Minnesota (where Gary and Jude live). I was close.

It was getting dark, so I gassed up and looked at the gas station attendant’s computer that had the radar on. Boy, did I get lucky. I asked where a place I could get dinner and a hotel. I had dinner at the AmVet (similar to VFW or American Legion hall). The people were not overly friendly, so I headed for the hotel. She didn’t bother to tell me the hotel (the only hotel) was under repair due to the fire. Oh, that’s not good. My only option was to head into the next town, Dawson.
By this time we are deep into dusk and the big lightning bolts were less than five miles away. Dawson was a very small town. I drove past the town bar, and convenience store. I turned right on one of the two streets in town. I was just looking for someone to ask where the town hotel was. The first house I drove up to had a big campfire going in the front yard and a couple of guys with their backs turned to the street. I rolled up and turned off the bike. I asked where the hotel. They got up out of their lawn chairs with their beer cans and strolled over to the street. I am picturing Burt Reynolds in a raft. The first guys laughed, “You really think this town has a hotel?” I explained that I was just trying to find a hotel to park my bike and get a room. The other guy says, “We are a couple of old harmless fisherman. This is our getaway from the wives on the weekends. We live and work in Fargo and we come here on the weekends to go fishing. We normally have a third guy staying here, but he couldn’t make it this weekend. You are more than welcome to stay here.” Now, I am hearing banjos in the background. I politely declined and fired up the bike. I asked where the next town toward Fargo was that had a hotel. He said Jamestown, about 52 miles away. I turned off the bike and asked them where I should park it. Reid and Terry helped me with my gear, and offered me a beer. We sat by the fire and I quickly realized that Reid and Terry were simply nice guys who could use the excitement of having a Texas Harley dude hang out with them. When the rain moved in, we went in and sat around the kitchen table getting to know each other and told some great stories. Terry and Reid bought the house and half a city block six years for three thousand dollars. Terry made sure that I knew that the taxes each year were always the same as the population of Dawson, 72. We exchanged emails and agreed to keep in touch. They were just like you and me. They simply opened up their home to someone who could really use it at the time. I was very appreciative and thankful that things really do happen and people really do care when you need it the most. Truly a wonderful part of my trip so far.

Sheridan, WY to Dawson, ND
Miles: 620
Sites: Wyoming, South Dakota & North Dakota, Sturgis Harley Davidson, a couple from La Porte, the Black Hills, and a great fishing home (fishing haven) for a couple great guys from North Dakota.
Emotion for the day: Blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment