Did you say penguins? - Iowa City, Iowa Day 13 – Wednesday, 5/26

I left Petosky at about 7:30 this morning. I landed at my bed and breakfast this evening at about 8:30. Fourteen hours and if I had to go through one more single lane construction zone, I was going to find the nearest grain silo, close the door and scream. Today was about dodging the truckers on I-80. I-80 ran through all four states today. It was difficult to pick a route that went through the remaining states I need and not on the interstate highways. I did stop by a friend’s biker bar in Davenport, Iowa to meet their family. I had a quick visit and then got back on the road for another hour. I pulled up lodging on my GPS and several bed and breakfast places popped up. I called one that was full, dropped by another nearby and ended up staying at a third nearby. Daissy is a wonderful host from Columbia. My dear friend Jorge would enjoy many hours connecting with Daissy. The first thing you notice when you walk in to her home are the walls covered with photographs from the 70 countries she has been to. I was fascinated with the beautiful pictures from Antarctica (try and draw the shape of Antarctica!) She spent several days on cruise learning about the penguins, seals and other wildlife on the island. One picture shows thousands of penguins just standing around. She had pictures from South Africa. Her house was like a pictorial museum, yet Daissy is a warm, gentle soul who enjoys sharing her experiences. I can’t wait until breakfast to hear more! I still need three more states to finish my circuit of 24 states. The next two days will be to Lawrence where Cindy lives and then Chandler (near Stillwater) where Sue lives. They only live five hours apart, so I will enjoy the time with them instead of being on the road.

Petosky, MI to Iowa City, IO
Miles: 597
Sites: Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa (I passed by a farm in Iowa)
Emotion of the day: Thank God for the Texas Hill Country

1 comment:

  1. Can't count the times I've been to Michigan but I can sure count the times I've seen the sun in Michigan. I guess if it's on the way, it's a state to get but I hope you didn't go out of your way to get it! Nice Waleye, big guy.

    Stay safe,
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete